source: Donna Hay
pan juices from roast chicken, turkey, lamb, beef or pork
10-12 ice cubes
2½ tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
stock, wine or water, to add to pan juices
1. Remove the roasted meat or poultry from the baking dish and keep warm.
2. Pour the pan juices into a jug with the ice and allow the fat to solidify.
3. Skim off 2 tablespoons of the solidified fat and return to the baking dish.
4. Discard the remaining fat, reserving the pan juices.
5. Add the flour to the fat in the baking dish and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the paste is a light golden colour.
6. Mix the pan juices, 2 cups (16 fl oz) with the stock, wine or water. Slowly whisk the liquid into the flour mixture until a smooth consistency.
7. Stir over medium heat until the gravy comes to the boil and thickens.
Makes 2 cups (16floz).