Roast Goose with Potato, Sage and Apple Stuffing
source: Delia Smith
1 young goose with giblets, weighing 10 to 12lb (4 to 5½kg) oven ready
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon sage leaves, chopped
1½ lb (700g) red potatoes
2 medium bramley apples, peeled and chopped
2oz (50g) butter
8oz (225g) onions, finely chopped
salt and freshly milled black pepper
1. Pre-Heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 425°F (220°C)
2. Begin by peeling the potatoes and chopping them into ¾ inch (2cm) cubes.
3. Place them in a saucepan with some salt, then cover them with boiling water and simmer for about 8 minutes or until they’re just tender.
4. Meanwhile melt the butter in a large frying-pan and cook the onions and apples gently for about 10 minutes, then add the sage and parsley and finally the drained potatoes.
5. Stir to mix everything thoroughly, season with salt and pepper, then pack the stuffing into the body cavity of the goose.
6. When you are ready to cook the goose, begin by placing the stuffing into the neck flap end of the bird, pressing it in as far as you can, tucking the neck flap all around it and patting it with your hands to make a rounded shape. Secure the flap underneath with a small skewer.
7. Next, place the stuffing in the body cavity. Season the goose well with salt and pepper, lay in on a rack in a roasting tin, then place it in the centre of the pre-heated oven.
8. Give it 30 minutes’ initial cooking, then reduce the temperature to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C), and roast another 3 hours. That is for an 11 lb (5kg) goose plus stuffing; allow 15 minutes less for a 10 lb (4½ kg) bird, 15 minutes more for a 12 lb (5½ kg) one.
Serves 8 people